Having bad breath or halitosis is an embarrassing situation that can lead to problems in relationships and work. Bad breath develops from the bacteria that are present in our mouth.
These bacteria contact with the food we eat and release a foul odor. Most people are not aware that they have bad breath or the discomfort that is causes other people.
Causes of Bad Breath
Sulphur-producing bacteria that are found within the surface of the tongue and in the throat cause bad breath. Tooth decay and gum problems are also the common causes of bad breath.
The objectionable odor to the breath comes from the abscesses in the gums with foul smelling pus as a result of dental decay at the roots of the teeth. These germs can still multiply and release foul odors even in the small holes in the teeth.
Studies have shown that medications that cause dry mouth such as anti-depressants, high blood medications and anti-histamines can cause bad breath.
Dry mouth causes bad breath. When you have dry mouth, especially in the morning, dead cells accumulate in the mouth and decompose causing foul odor.
Some of the other causes of bad breath include:
* Tobacco chewing
* Gum (periodontal) disease
Finally, dry mouth causes bad breath. When you have dry mouth, especially in the morning, dead cells accumulate in the mouth and decompose causing foul odor.
Bad Breath Remedies at Home
There are several simple and practical remedies that you can try at home as halitosis cure. These include:
1. Brush with baking soda to reduce the acidity in the mouth and make it difficult for the bacteria to grow
2. Brush and rinse using hydrogen peroxide when you have upper respiratory infections but don’t swallow it
3. Gargle with salt water to reduce bacteria in the mouth
4. Avoid eating foods with refined carbohydrates and sugars like cookies, sweets, cakes, carbonated soft drinks, ice creams and syrups
5. Drink sufficient amount of water (6-8 glasses) daily
6. Brush teeth daily especially before going to bed
7. Mix a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to ½ liter of water, simmer for 15 minutes, strain and drink as tea
8. Exercise and eat fiber rich foods to prevent constipation
9. Stop bad breath and gum bleeding by chewing unripe guava fruit or its tender leaves
10. Eat avocado to remove intestinal decomposition that leads to bad breath
Effective Halitosis Treatment
Come see Albion Dental Center if bad breath still persists despite the bad breath remedies done at home. We will determine if there are other underlying medical causes of your oral problem.
We will also consider the use of a saliva substitute if the dryness in your mouth persists. This is done when it is determined that the cause of dryness in the mouth is not due to allergic reactions.
Visit Albion Dental Center regularly for a professional and thorough cleaning. The removal of plaque decreases the supply of food for the bacteria that causes bad breath.
You do not have to suffer the stigma of having bad breath. There are practical remedies and treatments that are available to remove bad breath.